When faced with the prospect of resurfacing your driveway you have a number of choices including asphalt, concrete slab, stamped concrete, gravel and interlocking pavers. They all have their upside but none so much as interlocking pavers. While interlocking pavers may set you back more up front than some of the other options what they bring to the table aesthetically, practically and in terms of a value-added proposition simply cannot be beat by any other form of driveway surface. This is where an interlocking driveway by a professional Toronto landscaping company can come to the rescue.
An Interlocking Driveway is Your Best Long-Term Value
Interlocking is the kind of thing that tends to sell itself once people are able to see it up close and witness how it can transform a simple driveway into an experience. For the purposes of this post however, we’ll have to make our argument with words, though truth be told that won’t be all that difficult.
- Looks/Versatility – There is simply no contest between the look of a beautifully designed and installed interlocking driveway and any other type of surface you care to mention. The design possibilities are, literally, unlimited. You can vary the color, size, shape and texture of the pavers. You can create custom patterns within the surface using these different styles of pavers. Every type of look from classical and restrained to personalized post-modernism is available to you. The only limit is your imagination.
- Durability – When properly installed interlocking pavers will stay where you put them, doing their job for decades and longer. Paving stones installed around colonial era homes are still in use today as are some pavers laid down by the Romans nearly two millennia ago. The determining factor in how long your pavers last will be the company that installs them.
- Maintenance – If the sub-layers have been properly constructed your interlocking driveway will be practically maintenance free. Interlocking pavers are not subject to the wear and tear meted out by the freeze/thaw cycle in Toronto like concrete or asphalt. Even if a block should somehow become damaged replacing it is a straightforward process that will take minutes and cost virtually nothing.
- Price – Pavers will typically cost more than other options as mentioned but that statement comes with an enormous asterisk because when you’re on your 3rd or 4th asphalt resurfacing your interlocking pavers will still be looking good and doing their job. The value of pavers is both immediate in the curb appeal they provide and the boost they’ll give to your home’s value and long term due to the decades of maintenance free performance you’ll enjoy.
Other questions people have about interlocking pavers include:
- Can they be installed over existing asphalt or concrete? – Yes.
- Can I install interlocking on my inclined driveway? – Yes.
- Can I install a snowmelt system under the pavers? – Yes.
- Can I change the interlocking pattern without redoing the sub-base? – Yes.
For all of these reasons and more interlocking driveway pavers are the only option a discerning, value-conscious homeowner should consider when it comes time to resurface the driveway. Every other method will wind up costing far more in the long run and add virtually nothing to the aesthetic and bottom line value of your home the way interlocking pavers will.
M.E. Landscaping has been building custom decks, devising and constructing stunning landscapes and installing interlocking driveway pavers for homeowners in the Toronto area for more than a decade. We take great pride in our interlocking work and regularly pass driveway pavers we installed years ago that are still doing their owners proud. Call us on 416-455-9296 for a free, no-obligation consultation, and find out more about the many advantages of interlocking pavers.