As homeowners look for more ways to get value out of their residence, they invariably look not only to new landscaping like sod, shrubs, and flowers, but also to expanding their usable space by constructing patios or decks.
Over the last few years, demand for another stylish and affordable home improvement has grown by leaps and bounds – the outdoor kitchen.
At ME Landscaping, we’ve been the premier landscaping and outdoor construction company in the Greater Toronto Area for more than 10 years, and we’ve been hired by hundreds of customers to design and build the outdoor kitchen of their dreams.
Why the surge in popularity? Perhaps because of the economy, consumers are doing more entertaining at home, and a huge part of that revolves around the kitchen and dining area – cooking, sharing a meal or snack, or just lingering in casual conversation with family and friends. But the kitchen and dining area of most homes is restricted and can seem claustrophobic at times. Can you imagine how enjoyable those experiences would be outdoors, in a kitchen and dining area the size of your entire backyard or patio?
When it comes to building an outdoor kitchen, the experts at ME Landscaping can offer designs and accessories to fit any budget or architectural style.
Here are some things to consider before making your final decision.
- How often do you cook outdoors? If you’re an experienced chef who cooks on the barbecue at least two to three times a week, then it may be time to think about an outdoor kitchen. This is especially important if you spend a fair amount of time transporting food, ingredients, and cooking utensils between your kitchen and patio – while cooking and entertaining guests at the same time.
- What do you cook most often? If your weekly dinner menu consists of hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, or shish kabob occasionally, then an LP gas grill with a side burner may be sufficient. But if you use a rotisserie to cook chicken or other meats, or perhaps even prepare pizza from scratch, then a dedicated outdoor kitchen area could be a better fit.
- Choosing the right equipment: Keep in mind the bare essentials of a minimally equipped outdoor kitchen are the grill, the island for food preparation, cabinets to store non-perishables, a sink, and of course a refrigerator. A more experienced cook could elevate his game with side-burners, rotisseries, smokers, and stylish lighting.
- Do you need a pizza oven? Pizza cooked from scratch is another reason to think about an outdoor kitchen, especially one equipped with a wood-fired pizza oven.
- BBQ or flat surface? Think about whether you cook most often with gas, electric, or charcoal grills. A built-in gas grill – perhaps accessorized with a flat cook top – is probably the most cost-effective option for an outdoor kitchen.
- Do you want a gazebo with it? A nice feature for an outdoor kitchen is a gazebo or pergola which, if large enough, could also serve as the dining area.
While cost is an important factor, consumers also need to pick the right outdoor construction company to bring their outdoor kitchen design to life. If you have questions about designs and options, or would like to see samples of our work, call ME Landscaping today at 416-455-9296 for a free consultation.